
The Palazzo del Consorzio agrario is a civic building in Grosseto designed by engineer Umberto Tombari and constructed between 1938 and 1940. Located on via Roma, it served as the provincial headquarters of the agricultural cooperative.
The building’s programme reflected the Consorzio agrario’s long presence in Grosseto: the organisation had opened its first office in 1906 to sell agricultural machinery, followed by a branch for chemical fertilisers in 1908. By 1909, the Consorzio had acquired land on via Roma to establish a permanent seat. Earlier design proposals were submitted in 1921, 1931, and 1937 before Tombari’s final project was adopted. Construction began following a competitive tender held on 25 October 1938, with the contract awarded to the Alpiano-Castelli company. The building permit was issued on 8 November 1938.
About Umberto Tombari
Umberto Tombari (1900–1984) was a Tuscan civil engineer and architect who played a formative role in Grosseto’s urban development from the 1920s onwards. His early work combined neoclassical references with increasingly monumental forms during the 1930s, later evolving towards a more restrained rationalist approach in the postwar decades.
Details
- Architect: Umberto Tombari, civil engineer
- Location: via Roma, Grosseto, Tuscany
- Year: 1938–1940
- Function: Provincial agricultural cooperative headquarters
- Construction contractor: Alpiano-Castelli
- Building permit: 8 November 1938
Frequently asked questions
Who designed the Palazzo del Consorzio agrario?
Engineer Umberto Tombari designed the building, which was his final approved project after earlier proposals from other engineers in 1921, 1931, and 1937.
What was the building’s purpose?
It served as the provincial headquarters of the Consorzio agrario, an agricultural cooperative that had operated in Grosseto since 1906, initially selling agricultural machinery and chemical fertilisers.
When was it built?
Construction took place between 1938 and 1940, following a competitive tender held on 25 October 1938 and a building permit issued on 8 November 1938.




