A twelve-boat submarine pen on the Kriegsmarinewerft shipyard, built to keep U-boats safe from air attack — until a single raid in April 1945 tore flying debris through its gates and sank a submarine at anchor inside its own shelter. The bunker outlasted the war by more than half a century before a commercial port expansion finally erased it.
At a glance
The Kilian bunker stood at the mouth of the Schwentine in Kiel-Dietrichsdorf, inside the Kriegsmarinewerft naval shipyard, built between the winter of 1941 and November 1943. Two long chambers, each 150 metres, gave it capacity for up to twelve Type VIIC U-boats, with two boats able to moor end to end in the same chamber — a configuration unique among Kiel’s submarine bunkers.
The site no longer exists. Heavily damaged by a 1945 air raid that sank a submarine inside it, the bunker was partially demolished after the war, then finally levelled between 1999 and 2002 to make way for the expansion of Kiel’s commercial Ostuferhafen container port. Nothing of the structure survives above ground.
Key facts
- Built: construction began winter 1941/42, completed 13 November 1943; the first submarine, U-1101, moored there on 19 November 1943.
- Dimensions: two chambers of 150 metres each, roughly 80 metres combined width, 30 metres tall, roof up to 4.8 metres of reinforced concrete after strengthening, walls 2.5 to 3.3 metres, an estimated 200,000 m³ of concrete.
- Capacity: up to twelve Type VIIC U-boats, with two boats able to raft in a single chamber — unlike other Kiel bunkers, which held one per box.
- Forced labour: sources give figures from several hundred to roughly a thousand forced labourers and prisoners of war, without a single certified count; a local memorial association describes «hundreds of forced labourers and prisoners of war» kept in prison-like conditions, excluded from air-raid shelters, among more than a hundred forced-labour camps across wartime Kiel, including a Neuengamme sub-camp.
- The night of 9–10 April 1945: 359 RAF aircraft attacked Kiel; a bomb destroyed the bunker’s south gate, and flying debris struck U-4708, a Type XXIII Elektroboot moored inside — the boat listed, struck the quay and sank within moments. Five crew trapped aboard died; their bodies were never recovered, buried under concrete when the bunker was later demolished. It is the only confirmed case of a U-boat sunk by Allied bombing inside its own bunker.
- Postwar demolition: Allied forces demolished part of the structure — documented variously as 1945 or 1946, a discrepancy this account leaves unresolved rather than guess at — and the remaining ruins were finally cleared between 1999 and 2002 as the Ostuferhafen container terminal expanded.
- Coordinates: 54.3343° N, 10.1721° E (Ostuferhafen, Kiel-Dietrichsdorf).
Who tells it, and where the accounts diverge
Kilian is told as two almost separate buildings, depending on who is telling it. Naval history sites — uboat.net, specialist blogs on the Kriegsmarine and its submarine bases — treat it purely as engineering and operations: chamber dimensions, mooring capacity, the singular fate of U-4708. None of the naval-history sources consulted for this account mention the forced labourers who built the bunker at all. The local memorial association Mahnmal Kilian e.V., by contrast, centres its account on exactly that workforce — conscripted labour, prisoners of war, the camps that housed them, the exclusion from shelter during air raids that the bunker itself was built to provide. The same structure appears in one telling as a feat of wartime engineering and in the other as a site of forced labour; the two accounts rarely cite each other, and rarely appear in the same document.
What remains
Nothing of the bunker survives above ground. The site is now part of the Ostuferhafen commercial container port, and is commemorated only by the work of the Mahnmal Kilian e.V. memorial association, not by any physical remnant of the structure itself.
Getting there
The former site is within the Ostuferhafen container port at Kiel-Dietrichsdorf, an active commercial facility not open to public access; the Schwentine estuary and Kiel Fjord waterfront nearby are publicly accessible.
Sources
- uboat.net, Kiel U-boat bunkers — construction, dimensions, capacity, the sinking of U-4708.
- Mahnmal Kilian e.V. (mahnmalkilian.de) — forced labour, postwar demolition chronology.
- German Wikipedia, U-Boot-Bunker Kilian — construction dates, final demolition 1999–2002.
Find it on the map
See this place and what’s around it →📷 Become a Cultural Heritage Online photographer
Share your photos of places: they stay published under your name as the author. The more they're seen, the more you get noticed — and soon a contest will reward the most appreciated photos.
Log in or sign up free to add a photo